Thursday, August 20, 2009

Things I Love Thursday

This is my first time doing this topic and I hope to make it a regular one. I know usually a lot of 'chaos' moments go on here so I need a few good ones too!

Alyssa is a talker. She talked early, she talked a lot, she picked up every word after only hearing it once from an early age. Luckily, she loves to learn also :). In the car we usually have discussions where she asks the questions and I give the best answer I can for her age. Although, it is fun to throw a big word in there every now and again just to hear her try and repeat it lol. So far we only talking about observations she has made and therefore in the 'science' category which is my all time favorite and she seems to like also. Here are a few of the topics we have gone over...

Alyssa: "Why does it rain?"

Mommy: "Remember the song The Itsy Bitsy Spider? and how after it rained the sun dried it all back up? Well where does it go?"

A: "I don't know"

M: "The clouds! When the sun dries up all the rain it floats in to the sky and the clouds catch it and that's called condensation. After the clouds have so much rain that it gets heavy and they can't hold anymore, they let it drop down out of the sky. That's precipitation, when it's raining. Then it starts aaalllll over again."

A: *tries to repeat precipitation* "So the clouds drop water on our heads?"



Our topic yesterday was "the Earth"

A: "Mommy, what is the Earth?"
M: "The Earth is a planet, it's like a big ball and we all live on it, you are on Earth right now"
A: "Can we go to Earth?"
M: "We are on Earth"
A: "But I wanna go to it!"
M: "Alyssa, everything you see around you is on Earth and is Earth"
A: "Cars are Earth?"

This is where it became complicated lol

M: "No, everything living that is not an animal or a person is part of the Earth." (kind of left out water there.. because earth is dirt.. and well you can see why!)
A: "Is a mail box earth?"
M: "No, trees are earth, plants, grass, dirt, and mountains."
After a little Q & A quiz on different things were earth or not she had it down :)

This particular conversation even went on further because she asked why we don't always see the sun :) Don't you just love innocence and a thirst for knowledge?

These little discussions make me so happy because she comes up with the topic and wants to know about it. She doesn't forget anything we've discussed either. I love knowing that I am spending time with her and that she is expanding her mind in a way that only I can do for her at this age. Our own little homeschool sessions in the car!

3 comments:

Katidids said...

I love it! Some of the best conversations I've had with my kids are in the car. Often the most serious. Boys, Girls, saying no, sex, collage,...I wish I could have captured some of those moments. They are priceless!

thediaperdiaries said...

I love these conversations. My 6 yo has always been really inquisitive especially on car trips and right before bed. These moments are so special.

Kara said...

I love these kind of conversations! Cars seem to be a great place for them too. It's amazing how their little minds work, isn't it?