Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Busy Day

Just this past week I started couponing and shopping loss leaders at several different stores. Usually I only shopping at Walmart getting two weeks worth of groceries at a time making sure I don't forget anything since I only return for milk or bread to keep from spending more. Because I'm now buying what's on sale and in (semi) bulk however, means that I actually have to start cooking ahead like I've been planning for the longest and not just a double batch of something here or there.

So after I dropped Alyssa and Ty off to school I ran by Hill's because they have Split Chicken Breast for $1lb. So, I got 9.5lbs of it. I'm not a butcher, and I probably don't have the right knife for it but I managed to cut out (butcher up) 9 chicken breasts and 4 tenderloins out of the meat. I didn't do the best job of it and there was still meat left on the breastbone so I threw them in the crockpot with spices, carrots, onion and some water. I'm sure there will be more to shred up for BBQ chicken or fajitas plus the broth. After that I took my cut chicken and made 3 different marinades to freeze. That means I get at least 4 meals out of less than $10 of chicken! I managed to finish just in time to go pick up Tyler.

Another great deal Hill's has today is Totino's Pizza Rolls & Grands Biscuits for $1 each. I had (3) $.50 off 6 pizza rolls and 2 coupons for 4 cans of biscuits. So of course I had pizza for lunch and while it cooked I rolled up my left over cookie dough from yesterday into a log to freeze for later.


Next up? Bacon. ($1.50 each)
I love it, but hate cooking it on the stove. All that popping grease flying everywhere gets on my nerves so I'm trying to bake it in the oven. I will then put it in the freezer and pop out pieces as we need them.

Now I have 3lbs of sausage waiting on me (3/$5) to make a double batch of sausage balls and 1 batch of patties to freeze for a quick breakfast. Other than laundry and all the dirty dishes I've created, I think I'm done for the day.


Update: Here's my reward left over from the bones plus have a breast gave me 3.5 cups of shredded chicken! :D

No comments: